Wednesday, November 7, 2012

For Dad....

I saw a similar card to this on the front of Paper Crafts magazine recently and decided I wanted to make one for my dad for Veterans Day!  

Dad is 92 and a wonderfully patriotic veteran!   He was awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for his service during WWII.  He was wounded trying to pull one of his men in his platoon to safety.  His nose was shot off (yes, he came that close to dying himself) and because they could not airlift him out because of heavy fire, Dad tied a bandanna around his face and kept fighting all night until he could be airlifted the next day.  What a hero he is and yet he never talks about it or brags.  To him, he was just doing what had to be done.  I had the honor of visiting the World War II memorial in Washington DC with him in September and am so very glad I got to experience that.  Here he is there:
 Here is day with another WWII "hero" who was on the tour with us.
 And here is me and Dad together at the memorial.
 I always try to send Dad a card for Memorial Day and Veterans Day.  So I have had this one ready ahead of time. 

I used Soft Suede and Always Artichoke for the card and layer.  I have Very Vanilla on the front, with the star and sentiment stamped on it.  

I stamped the words, Freedom, Service, and Brave, from the Words of Courage stamp set in black on silver cardstock.

The "Thanks a Million" sentiment is from the Word Play set.

I added the chain so it would look like dog tags.    I hope Dad likes this one!!
Be sure to call and say "Thank You" to all the veterans you know on Sunday.  So many have given so much for us to enjoy the freedoms we enjoy today.  I am so proud of my dad!!

Come back soon!! Smiles, Laura

1 comment:

  1. Laura, he'll love it! A wonderful idea--using the dog tags!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments you leave. If acceptable, they will be posted to by blog.